The Chestertown Farmers Market will start as planned on Wednesday, June 17. The market will operate in accordance with the NYS Agriculture and Markets Interim Guidance for the Operation of Farmers’ Markets guidelines dated March 31, 2020.
In order to comply with social distancing guidelines, this year the market will be held on the back lawn of the Chester Municipal Center, rather than the front lawn.
Food and soap/sanitizer vendor applications have been approved, but please note that, according to the guidelines, we cannot accommodate craft and non-food vendors at this time. Those applications have been reviewed and put on hold for now. Hopefully, that requirement will change, and we’ll then contact those vendors regarding a starting date.
The 2020 Vendor Information is now available. Click to get started!
Welcome to the Chestertown, NY Farmers Market!
Spring, late summer and early fall are perfect seasons for visiting farmers markets. From the small, mom-and-pop stand at the corner, to the large, organized market with multiple vendors and extensive selections, it is definitely worth the trip. Experiencing food at its finest can encourage even the pickiest eater to try a few bites. When it comes to fresh fruits and vegetables, the market is the perfect place to locate some fabulous food finds for everyone in the family!
Benefits of shopping at the Farmers Market
- The fruits and vegetables are grown locally and picked when perfectly ripened. This enhances the taste, texture, and aroma of the produce.
- Often, market prices are lower than at grocery stores.
- Our existing system of food transportation and distribution requires enormous amounts of energy and resources. Before reaching your table, the average food item in the United States will travel 1,300 miles! In fact, only about 10% of the fossil fuel energy used in the world’s food system is used for production. The other 90% goes into packaging, transportation, and marketing of the food. All this inefficiency creates many environmental problems.
- Shopping at the Farmers Market benefits the local farmer and strengthens your local community.
- Since our selection is picked at the peak of the season, nutrients, and phytochemicals will be more abundant. Hippocrates said, “Let food be your medicine.”
- Listen to some incredible local music talent!
Farmers Market Fun
- Try a new fruit or vegetable, or prepare your produce in a new way.
- Ask a vendor his/her favorite way to prepare a particular type of produce. Many have fantastic recipes to share.
- They’re diverse, fun & free to visit
- Give your children each $2.00. Let them explore the world of produce and make a new selection. There is a much greater chance your child will try this new food since it belongs to them.
Visit Us This Season!